A ToonTask is a task in which a Toon can complete to progress through the game. A ToonTask can be offered by visiting any shopkeeper or HQ Officer and selecting a ToonTask. Once a Toon selects a ToonTask, they must complete it before selecting another ToonTask, with the exception of "Just for Fun!" ToonTasks. ToonTasks may involve defeating Cogs, delivering items or gags to shopkeepers, going fishing, riding the Trolley, calling Clarabelle's Cattlelog, or making new friends. Once a Toon completes a ToonTask, they must visit the specified NPC shown on the ToonTask.
If a Toon does not like the ToonTask the HQ Officer gives to them, Toons can try talking to other HQ Officers, since each HQ Officer has different sets of ToonTasks.
If a Toon knows which NPC will be giving them their next ToonTask, they may visit them to begin the ToonTask. This is a method for Toons that know where they need to go next, which will help them avoid visiting the Toon Headquarters repetitively after every completed ToonTask. For example, if a Toon knows that the next NPC they must speak to is Lil Oldman, they can simply visit him instead of visiting an HQ Officer first.
Toons can view their ToonTasks by pressing the default "End" key on Windows, or by pressing fn+right on macOS. ToonTasks can also be viewed via the Shticker Book.
These ToonTasks are part of the game's lore, and therefore required to be completed in order to progress through the game. A shopkeeper or HQ Officer can offer certain ToonTasks depending on the point that a Toon is working at. It is required for Toons to complete the Toontorial and work their way through up to six gag tracks. Toons will progress through the playgrounds and Cog headquarters in the following order:
- Toontown Central
- Donald's Dock
- Daisy Gardens/Sellbot Headquarters
- Minnie's Melodyland
- The Brrrgh
- Donald's Dreamland
- Cashbot Headquarters (Cashbot Cog Disguise parts)
- Lawbot Headquarters (Lawbot Cog Disguise parts)
- Bossbot Headquarters (Bossbot Cog Disguise parts)
Certain ToonTasks may involve acquiring a specific item by defeating Cogs or going fishing. The table below shows the terms and percentages.
- Toontown Central ToonTasks
- Donald's Dock ToonTasks
- Daisy Gardens ToonTasks
- Minnie's Melodyland ToonTasks
- The Brrrgh ToonTasks
- Donald's Dreamland ToonTasks
- Main page: Silly Reader
A particular ToonTask that Toons can complete awards the Silly Reader, a tool that allows them to keep track of the Silly Meter's stats. Toons must have 30 laff and/or a level four gag before they can speak to any Loony Labs Scientoon in Toon Hall to obtain the ToonTask.
"Just for Fun!" ToonTasks
As the name implies, these ToonTasks are just for fun and are not required for completion to progress through the game, but can beneficial in special circumstances. The rewards for the ToonTasks may include jellybeans, clothing tickets, or cheesy effects. The rewards improve as the Toon progresses through the game, but the ToonTask required to earn the reward usually becomes much harder depending on the playground the Toon is working at. These ToonTasks can also be deleted via the Shticker Book, but once deleted, progress is lost completely.
- Some progression ToonTasks, such as "Defeat 2 Short Changes", are often direct and are fully completed once the visible ToonTask is completed. Others, such as "Visit Professor Wiggle", lead to multiple ToonTasks.
- Sellbot Headquarters is the only Cog headquarters that does not require completing ToonTasks to build a Cog Disguise.
- Toon Resistance ToonTasks, Loony Labs ToonTasks, April Toons Week ToonTasks, Halloween ToonTask, and Winter ToonTask are the only ToonTasks that contain an expiration date due to being part of temporary or annual events.