The blog "A Big Surprise All 'Fa You!" was posted by The TTR Team on October 28, 2013 03:45 PM.
This picture in this blog post wasn't actually posted in 1998. Its URL is a reference to the development of Toontown Online and suggests that Doctor Surlee went back to that point in time to change the past.
Originally, this picture was named "10-19-13_alpha.jpg". However, this was a typo, which was later fixed to say the correct date, "10-26-98_alpha.jpg" hinting this picture took place in the past.
Although both versions of the files look identical, the older "10-19-13_alpha.jpg" URL and the newer "10-26-98_alpha.jpg" URL have been archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. It is also worthwhile to note that the image with an older date as its title, is lower quality than the image with a more recent date as its title.
A Big Surprise All 'Fa You!
A Big Surprise All 'Fa You!
Posted by The TTR Team on October 28, 2013 03:45 PM
At last, it has finally been one W.E.E.K. (Waiting Eternally Every K.A.D. (Kool Acronym for Day)) after we announced Toontown Rewritten, and you know what that means:
Today officially marks the start of Alpha Testing!
We know that it has been a long time since we originally promised the Toontown Rewritten Alpha, however we do have good reason for the delays. The more we worked on Toontown Rewritten, the more we saw that this game is severely outdated and needs a big rework. These past 3 months we have been setting groundwork to make sure that this game is not only revived, but revived so that it will last. That being said, without further ado, here are the very first release notes of Toontown Rewritten.
October 28, 2013 [ttr-alpha-gafba7f3]
• Initial Release of Toontown Rewritten Alpha
• Engine Upgrades - We're now running Panda3D v1.8.1!
• Rewrote Nametags for optimization and engine compatibility. This is a work in progress, so please excuse the messy looking tags.
• Implemented new loading system via DNA parsing - also work in progress.
• Safeguarded the client against malicious code injection (No more hackers!)
• Logs and screenshots are now stored in their respective folders to eliminate clutter
• Dropped MIDI music format for OGG. This is to plan to support Linux later in development.
• Scrubbed and polished gears to increase overall security and stability
• Basic Gameplay - You can create toons, chat, and play the Maze Game. (Until a proper word filter is set up, only Speedchat is available. This will change very soon.)
• Converted Toontown Central to the new loading method (Other areas will soon follow!)
• Added native 16:9 support (No more stretching when you maximize your game!)
• Recreated a few minor textures for HD and 16:9 support.
• Added more clothing to Make-a-Toon
• Added more chat bubble colors: What other colors do you want to see?
Now, some of you may say that playing the Maze Game over and over again for eternity will get boring. I will tell you now that you are 100% wrong in every way possible. However, because we like you, we will be releasing a daily update at 2PM Toontown Time (PST). These daily updates will include bugfixes as well as features that YOU vote. Along with these daily updates, every Saturday will include a major update to add something completely new. At times we may skip a daily update to allot more time to testing a specific feature, but we will try our best to keep the game fresh to everyone.
If you are one of the lucky 100 who have earned an alpha key (Or even if you haven't) we recommend that you hop on over to MMO Central Forums and join our discussion. Alpha testers will be able to apply to the special super not-so-secret Alpha Forum where you can vote on the daily update and talk to your fellow testers.
It's been a wild ride for us, and it's only going to get better from here. I can't want to see all of you in-game. Even if you aren't an alpha tester, keep your eyes peeled on our blog for updates. There is no specific time allotment for the alpha, but the public launch will come as soon as we feel comfortable with releasing it.
As the toons of the past would say... Stay TOONed! And remember: Time is ticking.
Notes and Thoughts
Time is ticking.
The goals of Doctor Surlee and the TTR Team seem to line up. Both say the game is outdated and needs a rework.
As the Toons of the past would say... Stay TOONed!
This likely refers to the Toons in Toontown Online.