The Silly Meter is a device that tracks the silliness throughout Toontown. With the assistance of Doctor Fissionton and the rest of Loony Labs, Doctor Surlee was able to reconstruct a brand new Silly Meter. The Silly Meter was released to Toontown Rewritten on March 6, 2019 as an expansion.
Silly Meter mechanics
As Toons continuously participate in all sorts of activities, the Silly Meter will rise and eventually reach its peak of maximum silliness. Most, if not all, activities in Toontown such as defeating Cogs, taking over Cog Buildings, throwing a party, and playing a round of golf allow Toons to earn Silly Points.
Although Toons are responsible for keeping Toontown's silliness intact, the Cogs, however, forbid silliness and are constantly attempting to decrease it by making Toons go sad, launching Cog Invasions, clocking in, and dropping Cog Buildings onto the streets. It is up to the Toons to battle against the Cogs in order to ensure that the Silly Meter can reach maximum silliness.
- Main page: Silly Reader
Toons can keep track of Toontown's silly levels at any time by using a device created by Loony Labs called the Silly Reader. The Silly Reader is the latest addition to the Shticker Book that allows a Toon to keep track of the Silly Meter's status, view their own Silly Points, and view global Silly Points. There is also a list of detailed stats on how Toons are generating Silly Points and how Cogs are lowering Silly Points. This information is always updated every 15 minutes.
The silliness of Toontown relies on cycles. The Silly Meter was designed to progress through three of the following phases.
The active phase is where Toons earn Silly Points and push the Silly Meter to maximum silliness. As time goes on, the Silly Meter undergoes several transformations to account for rising silly levels across Toontown. Toons may visit Toon Hall every now and then to see various forms of the Silly Meter emerge.
The reward phase occurs once the Silly Meter maxes. When this happens, all of Toontown receives a special reward for two days. Heightened silly levels do all sorts of wonderfully wacky things to Toontown, which is why it is recommended that Toons do not miss a second of it.
Cool down phase
The cool down phase allows both the Silly Meter and Toontown's silly levels to normalize for another two days. Once the Silly Meter resets and the silly levels have had time to stabilize, it returns back to its active phase.
- Main page: Silly Teams
As stated previously, all Toons across Toontown gain a special reward for two days after the Silly Meter maxes. During the Silly Meter's active phase, there are three possible rewards available. There are numerous possible rewards that could appear in a variety of combinations. Shown above are each and every Silly Team, ranging from double jellybeans to double skill points for certain gag tracks.
Toons may choose to join a Silly Team corresponding to one of the three rewards that they would like to place their Silly Points towards. If Toons do not like a Silly Team they initially selected, they may switch to a different Silly Team via the Shticker Book. The Silly Team with the most points earned by the time the Silly Meter maxes will unlock their respective reward for all of Toontown to benefit from.
Animated street props
As the Silly Meter draws closer to reaching maximum silliness, parts of Toontown start to undergo some wacky occurrences. This means that fire hydrants, trashcans, and mailboxes spring to life. When the street props are fully animated, they offer bonus Silly Points, increase movement for nearby Toons, and offer an instant power-up to certain gags.
Toontown Rewritten has its own Silly Meter API, which provides an updated status on the Silly Meter. The API, available in the JSON format, provides information on the three current rewards and their descriptions, the Silly Team winner, the percentage of Silly Points placed into each Silly Team, the Silly Meter's current phase, the amount of overall Silly Points that have been accumulated, and the time at which the API was last updated. The API allows retrieving the Silly Meter data from other websites as well. If an error occurs, the API only returns the error.
As alternatives, players may join either /r/ToontownRewritten or the official Toontown Rewritten Discord servers to keep track of the Silly Meter's status.
- The Silly Meter made its first in-game appearance as a prototype at the Pet Shops during April Toons Week from 2016 to 2017, and later made another appearance inside Toon Hall during The Great Silly Particle Search in 2018.
- During The Great Silly Particle Search, Doctor Fissionton revealed that "The Final Plan" involved helping Doctor Surlee reconstruct a brand new Silly Meter, with the intent of propelling Toontown's silliness to new heights that were never achieved before in order to end the anomalies of the 26th.
- As the Silly Meter fills up with more Silly Points, it automatically transforms to contain extra parts. The music in Toon Hall also changes and starts to sound more intense for each of the Silly Meter's four phases.
- For the Silly Meter to enter phase one, it needs to accumulate enough Silly Points so that only 5,000,000 more would be needed.
- For the Silly Meter to enter phase two, it needs to accumulate enough Silly Points so that only 3,500,000 more would be needed.
- For the Silly Meter to enter phase three, it needs to accumulate enough Silly Points so that only 2,500,000 more would be needed.
- For the Silly Meter to enter phase four, it needs to accumulate enough Silly Points so that only 1,000,000 more would be needed.