A Toon becomes "sad" when they lose all of their laff points in a Cog battle. Upon losing a battle, the Toon will have their gags taken away by the Cogs and is sent back to the nearest playground. Sad Toons cannot leave the playground, which means that they cannot go to the streets, go to other playgrounds, go to their own estate, or even go on the trolley until they have gained at least one laff point.
|The sound of a Toon going sad|
- Slappy was the first NPC Toon to become sad.
- Although Slappy was the first NPC Toon to become sad, staff members could use the command "~hp -1" in Alpha to be sad, which they had done even before Slappy went sad.
- This technically means that Slappy wasn't the first Toon to be saddened, although no one saw as staff members made themselves go sad prior to Slappy going sad.
- Sad Toons cannot jump and walk slower than normal Toons.
- However, in Toontown Online, sad Toons could jump slightly off the ground. It is unknown if it's a bug.
- Sad Toons can be easily identified for their heads dropping downwards.
- In the trolley game called Toon Slingshot, the sad Toon animation and its respective sound effect is used when a Toon does not land on a target in that game.
- In Donald's Dock, when a sad Toon goes into the water, they can still swim at the normal walking speed, as if they never went sad.
- Sad Toons do not lose their gags in the following ways:
- There is a glitch that sometimes occurs where a Toon that goes sad inside a Cog HQ, then quits the game. When return to the game, the Toon remains in the HQ and can battle Cogs as normal, except that the Laff Meter will show -1 Laff points.
- Sad Toons cannot collect the treats in playgrounds until they receive at least one Laff point.