A Toon becomes "sad" when they lose all of their laff points in a Cog battle. Upon losing a battle, the Toon will have their gags taken away by the Cogs (including level seven gags) and is sent back to the nearest playground. Sad Toons cannot leave the playground, which means that they cannot go to the streets, go to other playgrounds, go to their own estate, hop on the Trolley, or even collect treasures until they have gained at least one laff point.
While a Toon is sad, they walk slower than happy Toons and cannot jump. Their laff meter becomes a sickly lime green color with "X" eyes and a sad mouth sticking out its tongue.
|The sound of a Toon going sad|
- Slappy was the first Toon to ever become sad, at the result of a Yesman's unexpected usage of Positive Reinforcement during the Toon Council Presidential Elections.
- If the Toon goes sad in a street battle, the Cog that the Toon was battling with is seen jumping around, teasing the Toon in a childish manner (as shown in the gallery section below).
- Sad Toons could jump slightly off the ground in Toontown Online. This may have been a bug.
- In Toon Slingshot, a Toon becomes sad and its respective sound effect starts to play when a Toon does not land on a target.
- In Donald's Dock, a sad Toon can swim at a normal speed under water.
- Toons do not lose their gags when going sad via the following ways:
- Intentionally sabotaging Cog battles in ways that lead to situations where other Toons go sad is known as "greening". Greening Toons can result in an infraction on the player's account.
- There is a glitch that sometimes occurs where a Toon can remain sad at a Cog headquarters, then quits the game. When logging back onto the game, the Toon stays in the respective headquarters and can battle Cogs normally, except their laff meter will show "-1" laff points.