A name tag is an object floating over any Toon's head with the Toon's name on it. The color of the name tag varies:
- A player sees their own Toon with a blue-violet name tag.
- A player sees other Toons with a green name tag.
- NPC Toons and doodles have an orange name tag.
The code behind name tags had to be rewritten for Toontown Rewritten. During Alpha, the name tags originally had a black font with a white background as a placeholder until new name tags were implemented. The release notes from October 28, 2013 can be found here.
Various name tag fonts can be purchased in Clarabelle's Cattlelog. The point in which a font is available for purchase varies depending on the Toon's Cattlelog series. A Toon may only own one font at a time and purchasing another font will then remove the previous font.
There are currently 17 different name tag fonts available:
- Spooky (only purchasable from Clarabelle's Cattlelog around Halloween)
- Rigmarole (only purchasable from ToonFest Tower during ToonFest)
- Frostbite (only awarded to Winter Laff-o-lympics gold medal winners)
- Cogs are indicated by a grey name tag written with their name, branch type, and level.
- Nearby buildings that are hidden from the player's field of view are indicated by a name tag and an arrow. Toon Buildings will have name tags written in light blue text. Cog Buildings will have name tags written in grey text.
- Toons always start off with the "Basic" name tag font.
- Toons cannot click on others' name tags during boss battles.
- If a Toon moves away from another Toon's field of view (or if only part of the Toon is shown), the name tag would remain fixed in the screen with an arrow indicating the position of that Toon. No more than 10 name tags of this sort can appear at once.
- In Toontown Online, a player could see other Toons with a blue name tag if they had them added as a true friend. The true friends system, however, does not exist on Toontown Rewritten.
- In Toontown Online, other Toons on a player's account would have an orange name tag when giving gifts from Clarabelle's Cattlelog and planting Toon Statues.