Laff is the health of Toons. The laff meter resembles the head of the Toon's species and is shown at the bottom left corner of the interface. Toons start with 15 laff; the current maximum a Toon can have is 145. When a Toon hits zero laff, the Toon goes sad and is sent back to the nearest playground of a particular neighborhood. If the Toon goes sad in a street battle, the Cog that the Toon was battling is seen jumping around, teasing the Toon in a childish manner. After going sad, all the Toon's gags are taken away by the Cogs. While sad, a Toon's laff meter is a sickly lime green, and the Toon cannot exit the playground, board the Trolley, go fishing, board a golf cart, nor visit their friends.
In playgrounds and a Toon's estate, their laff will refill over time. If a Toon has at least one laff point, a Toon can collect treasures to refill lost laff points. They can collect ice cream cones in Toontown Central, starfish in Donald's Dock, daisies in Daisy Gardens, music notes in Minnie's Melodyland, snowflakes in The Brrrgh, ZZZs in Donald's Dreamland, acorns in Chip 'n Dale's Acorn Acres, and popsicles at an estate to restore laff points.
Gaining extra laff
There are a number of ways a Toon could get more laff points, other than by ToonTasks. The following chart shows all of the attainable laff boosts, and which activity they come from.
|Attained from||Amount||Total amount|
|Laff boost ToonTasks||85||100|
|Maxed Sellbot Cog Disguise||5||105|
|Maxed Cashbot Cog Disguise||5||110|
|Maxed Lawbot Cog Disguise||5||115|
|Maxed Bossbot Cog Disguise||5||120|
|Silly Teams overjoyed laff meter||8 (Temporary)||145|
- Laff is a pun on "laugh" and "life".
- The color of a Toon's laff meter is based on the color of the Toon's head.
- If the toon is a Polar Bear or Black Cat, the laff meter will change to the respective color when activating the effect for them, respectively.
- The laff meter is one of Doctor Surlee's many inventions.
- According to the phase files, laff can go up to 145. However, it is unknown why 137 became the maximum laff in Toontown Online.
- With Toontown Rewritten inducing a brand new playground in the future, it is believed that the ToonTasks involved with the playground may allow Toons to go up to 145 laff.
- When the Overjoyed Laff Meter is in effect after the Silly Meter reaches its peak, all Toons across Toontown temporarily receive an additional eight laff points.
- Purposely making other Toons go sad in battle by either abandoning them, or letting the Cogs make them go sad, is known as "greening". Greening Toons can result in receiving a punishment on the player's account.
- In the final phase of all boss battles, a Toon's laff meter is displayed above their head while they are missing some of their laff. This feature made its first appearance during Doomsday from the Alpha stage of Toontown Rewritten.
- There is a glitch where Toons start with 16 laff, but then reset to 15 laff upon restarting the game.
- This glitch most often occurs during Create a Toon if the toon skips the Toontorial.
- If the Cogs win the Chief Justice battle, the Toons will go sad but not lose their gags.
- Originally Posted by joey19982 (Sir Max) on 09-30-2013 (Post #253)
- Yes, TTR has a full storyline to explain everything- even why people have to start over at 15 laff points. You'll see parts of it as development continues, but it is a pretty deep story that won't be fully revealed for a while. While the game is still going to be targeted at children, I want to add deeper aspects than "cogs are bad."