Laff is a Toon's health points that are measured on a Laff Meter invented by Doctor Surlee. The Laff Meter resembles the head of the Toon's species and is shown at the bottom left corner of the interface. Toons start with 15 laff as they enter Toontown for the first time but can currently work their way up towards reaching a maximum amount of 137 laff without any form of special perks. When a Toon's laff hits zero, they become sad and are sent back to the nearest playground with their gags taken away by the Cogs.
A single laff point refills on the Laff Meter every 30 seconds as the Toon idles in a playground or at their estate. Treasures can be collected for the Toon to regain their laff once they gained at least one laff point.
Attainable laff points
There are a number of ways a Toon could gain more laff points besides completing certain ToonTasks. The following table shows all of the attainable laff points.
|Attained from||Laff boost||Total laff amount|
|Toontown Central ToonTasks||10||25|
|Donald's Dock ToonTasks||9||34|
|Daisy Gardens ToonTasks||9||43|
|Minnie's Melodyland ToonTasks||9||52|
|The Brrrgh ToonTasks||9||61|
|Donald's Dreamland ToonTasks||39||100|
|Maxed Sellbot Cog Disguise||5||105|
|Maxed Cashbot Cog Disguise||5||110|
|Maxed Lawbot Cog Disguise||5||115|
|Maxed Bossbot Cog Disguise||5||120|
|Overjoyed Laff Meter perk*||8||145|
*The perk is temporary and lasts for a few days before the Silly Meter enters a cool down phase.
- Laff is a portmanteau on "laugh" and "life".
- The Laff Meter smiles when it has full health but grins when laff points are depleted.
- If the Toon undergoes a change in color whether it be through the process of Toon Rewrite, acquiring a Color Rewrite, or becoming a Black Cat or Polar Bear, their Laff Meter will change to match the new color. Cheesy effects such as "No Color" and "Polar Toon" do not change the color of the Laff Meter.
- There are laff requirements for some Cog facilities.
- Toons previously had to have at least 31 laff to access the Sellbot Factory's Side Entrance. This restriction was removed in the 2.7.1 update released on December 22, 2020.
- Toons must have at least 66 laff to access the Cashbot Dollar Mint and at least 71 laff to access the Cashbot Bullion Mint.
- Toons must have at least 81 laff to access Office B, at least 86 laff to access Office C, and at least 96 laff to access Office D in the District Attorney's Office.
- Toons must have at least 95 laff to access The Middle Six and at least 100 laff to access The Back Nine in the Cog Golf Courses.
- Colliding with freight trains in Cashbot Headquarters and the oil fountain in Bossbot Headquarters can deduct laff points and take away all of a Toon's gags.
- During the final battle of each of the four boss Cogs, a Toon's Laff Meter is displayed above their head while they are missing some of their laff. This small feature made its first appearance during Doomsday from the Alpha stage of Toontown Rewritten.
- When the "Overjoyed Laff Meter" Silly Team is awarded after the Silly Meter maxes if it wins, all Toons across Toontown temporarily receive an additional eight laff points. A Toon's Laff Meter glows up and laff points are shown in orange to indicate the perk.
- On the back of Toontown Rewritten's Laff Meter trading card, there is a Laff Meter on the top left corner that has 140 laff points, which is currently impossible without the aid of the Silly Meter.
- The Toontown Rewritten Team stated that there are plans to introduce brand new ToonTasks for earning more laff points as part of the Sellbot Field Offices expansion.