Laff is a Toon's health points that are measured on a Laff Meter invented by Doctor Surlee. The Laff Meter resembles the head of the Toon's species and is shown at the bottom left corner of the interface. Toons start with 15 laff as they enter Toontown for the first time but can currently work their way up towards reaching a maximum amount of 137 laff (minus special perks). When a Toon's laff hits zero, however, they become sad and are sent back to the nearest playground, losing their gags in the process. While sad, a Toon's Laff Meter becomes a sickly lime green color, and the Toon cannot exit the playground, board the Trolley, go fishing, board a golf cart, nor visit their friends until they regain at least one laff point.
A single laff point refills on the Laff Meter every 30 seconds as the Toon idles in a playground or at their estate. Treasures can be collected for the Toon to refill their laff slightly faster once they gained at least one laff point.
Obtaining extra laff points
There are a number of ways a Toon could gain more laff points besides completing certain ToonTasks. The following table shows all of the attainable laff boosts.
|Attained from||Laff boost||Total laff amount|
|Toontown Central ToonTasks||10||25|
|Donald's Dock ToonTasks||9||34|
|Daisy Gardens ToonTasks||9||43|
|Minnie's Melodyland ToonTasks||9||52|
|The Brrrgh ToonTasks||9||61|
|Donald's Dreamland ToonTasks||39||100|
|Maxed Sellbot Cog Disguise||5||105|
|Maxed Cashbot Cog Disguise||5||110|
|Maxed Lawbot Cog Disguise||5||115|
|Maxed Bossbot Cog Disguise||5||120|
|Overjoyed Laff Meter perk*||8||145|
*The perk is temporary and lasts for a few days before the Silly Meter enters a cool down phase.
- Laff is a porteamu on "laugh" and "life".
- The Laff Meter smiles when it has full health but grins when laff points are depleted.
- If the Toon undergoes a change in color whether it be through the process of Toon Rewrite, acquiring a Color Rewrite, or becoming a Black Cat or Polar Bear, their Laff Meter will change to match the new color. Cheesy effects such as "No Color" and "Polar Toon" do not change the color of the Laff Meter.
- According to the phase files, laff can go up to 145. However, it is unknown why 137 became the maximum laff in Toontown Online.
- It is known that the Toontown Rewritten Team stated that there are plans to introduce brand new ToonTasks for earning more laff points as part of the Sellbot Field Offices expansion, and possibly for the cloud.
- On the back of Toontown Rewritten's Laff Meter trading card, there is a meter on the top left corner that has 140 laff points, which is currently impossible without the aid of the Silly Meter.
- When the "Overjoyed Laff Meter" Silly Team is awarded after the Silly Meter reaches maximum silliness, all Toons across Toontown temporarily receive an additional eight laff points. A Toon's Laff Meter glows up and laff points are shown in orange to indicate the overjoyed effect.
- In the final phase of all boss battles, a Toon's Laff Meter is displayed above their head while they are missing some of their laff. This feature made its first appearance during Doomsday from the Alpha stage of Toontown Rewritten.
- There are laff requirements for all Cog facilities.
- Toons must have at least 31 laff to access the Sellbot Factory's Side Entrance.
- Toons must have at least 66 laff to access the Cashbot Dollar Mint and at least 71 laff to access the Cashbot Bullion Mint.
- Toons must have at least 81 laff to access Office B, at least 86 laff to access Office C, and at least 96 laff to access Office D in the District Attorney's Office.
- Toons must have at least 95 laff to access The Middle Six and at least 100 laff to access The Back Nine in the Cog Golf Courses.
- Coming into contact with the freight trains in Cashbot Headquarters and the oil fountain in Bossbot Headquarters can deduct laff points.
- There is a glitch where Toons start with 16 laff but then reset to 15 laff upon restarting the game, which most often occurs during Create-a-Toon if the Toon skips the Toontorial.
- Originally Posted by joey19982 (Sir Max) on 09-30-2013 (Post #253)
- Yes, TTR has a full storyline to explain everything- even why people have to start over at 15 laff points. You'll see parts of it as development continues, but it is a pretty deep story that won't be fully revealed for a while. While the game is still going to be targeted at children, I want to add deeper aspects than "cogs are bad."