Doodles live in their owner's estate after adoption. When a Toon arrives at their estate, they will be able to see the doodle's tag on their screen if they own one already. Upon clicking the doodle's tag, a Toon will see a small box show up, similar to when they click on another Toon's name, showing their doodle and allowing them to see their doodle's current status, such as the "Tricks" tab, and the ability to call, feed, and pet their doodle. From here, the Toon can also see their doodle's current mood. A Toon's doodle also appears on the friends list so they can check on their doodle at any given time.
Depending on which Pet Shop a Toon purchases their doodle from, they will get many randomized doodle variations from colors and spots to tails, ears, noses, and even hair - as well as a multitude of options for naming. The options for each Pet Shop's doodles changes each day for each playground. If a Toon is not satisfied with the purchased doodle, they can talk to one of the Pet Shop clerks to return their current doodle, but will not get a refund.
Doodles can be trained to do tricks for Toons, which can heal a set amount of laff. They can be called into battle as well to perform a trick to heal the Toons participating in the battle. Training a trick boosts how much laff a trick can restore, and reduces the chance of the doodle getting confused. Depending on where a Toon adopts a doodle, they will have different traits which determines their behavior, and how well they can learn tricks. Toontown Central usually has the cheapest doodles with worse traits, thus they struggle with training. On the other hand, doodles in Donald's Dreamland are far more expensive but usually contain the best traits and will not struggle as much as the cheapest doodles do with training.
Upon the creation of a new Toon, the player automatically gains the first trick phrase command in SpeedChat: "Jump!". This is the most basic trick that a doodle can learn, capable of restoring up to 10 laff when fully trained, and five laff with minimal training. To teach the doodle a trick, or practice a trick, use the SpeedChat phrase "Here girl!" or "Here boy!" from the "Pets" section, or select the "Call" button. Once the doodle arrives at the exact location, the Toon can go to their SpeedChat menu under the "Pets" section, and select a desired phrase.
After a Toon selects the desired phrase, their doodle will then either perform the trick, or a '?' icon will appear above their head, meaning they did not understand, and the trick failed. If the trick was a success, the doodle will heal any Toons in close proximity, and will gain points in their trick meter. The trick meter can be accessed by clicking on the doodle's name, and hitting the arrow on the bottom left. As the trick meter increases, the laff the trick restores also increases until it reaches its maximum. Doodles can become tired after doing tricks, signaled by the 'ZZZ' cloud icon, and will need rest. To help the doodle feel happy, a Toon can feed them with jellybeans, and say positive things to them, such as "Good boy!" or "Good girl!".
- Beg (6-12 laff)
- Play Dead (7-14 laff)
- Rollover (8-16 laff)
- Backflip (9-18 laff)
- Dance (10-20 laff)
- Speak (11-22 laff)
Each trick heals a different amount of laff. Jump heals the least laff, and Speak heals the most.
Doodles can go through different moods, which can affect their overall behavior. Different traits can influence how often certain moods occur. For example, an often tired doodle will get tired frequently, often after single tricks, while a rarely tired doodle will almost never tire out after doing tricks. Each mood can affect how the doodle performs, and what the doodle requires before it goes back to being in a normal mood. Moods also have their own symbols, which will appear above their heads.
As stated above, various traits can affect a doodle's overall behavior. To find a doodle with the best possible traits, visit the Pet Shop from The Brrrgh or Donald's Dreamland. The rest of the Pet Shops tend to have doodles with decent traits and bad traits. Standard doodles can at least be found in the Pet Shop from Donald's Dock.
The looks of doodles are randomly pre-selected when visiting a Pet Shop clerk. Every doodle has a jellybean-shaped body, come in most of the original colors, and have an array of possible body parts (fur patterns, tails, ears, horns, and antennae).
Help in battle
Like SOS Toons, doodles also act as an SOS that Toons may call in for help in battle. When a doodle is called, the Toon selects a trick and the doodle attempts to perform the trick after teleporting. If the trick fails, the doodle feels sad. If the trick successfully works, laff points will be granted to all Toons in battle, depending on the amount a trick rewards. It will also gain training points when a trick is successfully performed in battle. The doodle will then teleport back to their owner's estate afterwards.
- The first appearance of a doodle in Toontown Rewritten was Fluffy whom Flippy found while constructing the ToonFest Grounds for ToonFest 2014.
- When Barbecue Headquarters opened as ToonFest on April 1, 2015, Fluffy mentioned "Home is near!", which hinted that other doodles were nearby.
- Right after ToonFest 2015 ended on October 20, 2015, Flippy found out that Fluffy had gone missing. Flippy mentioned how there was something about the ToonFest Grounds that made Fluffy wander off from time to time.
- Doodles behave similarly to dogs.
- Despite there being a chicken leg symbol above a doodle's head when feeling hungry, they only share their love for jellybeans.
- Doodles can swim in the estate's fishing pond. Unlike Toons, they float on the water instead of diving into it. When doodles swim, their legs act as paddles to propel through the water.
- According to a Toontown Online trading card, doodles came from a land known as "Doodlevania" owned by an emperor named Deedle von Doodlesworth.
- Sam stated at OMG!Con 2015 that doodles caused heavy server lag in Toontown Online, which is why the Toontown Rewritten Team had to fix this before implementing doodles to prevent lag issues and stress on servers.
- On April 8, 2017, Fluffy was spotted roaming around Toontown. Toons could hunt for him in Toon Buildings and, if found, would speak some dialogue about his friends, which hinted towards the release of doodles.
- Doodles can gain credit from performing their trick successfully while giving a Toon a Toon-Up in battle.
- The price of a doodle, as well as the quality of their traits, does differ from each playground.
- If a Toon who does not have a doodle receives a doodle trick in their mailbox, a randomly generated doodle will be shown to represent the trick.
- Some doodles in the picture frames from outside or inside the Pet Shops are wearing shoes. This may or may not suggest that doodles could possibly wear accessories in the future.
- Using a "Toons Hit" SOS Toon will allow a doodle to successfully perform a trick regardless of their condition.