Doctor Surlee is a NPC monkey Toon who is the director of Loony Labs, and a member of the S.I.L.L.I. (Scientists Interested in Laugh Levels Increasing) team. He can be found in Toon Hall inspecting the Silly Meter with the rest of the Scientoons. Toons may speak to him to grab a ToonTask to retrieve the Silly Reader, and learn more about the Silly Meter and its functions.
Doctor Surlee is quite the greatest genius that Toontown has ever seen. If it were not for his variety of inventions such as the portable hole, laff meter, and even the Trolley, Toontown would not be nearly as wacky as it is today. Doctor Surlee, however, never seems to crack a smile despite formulating all sorts of wacky ideas.
- “My name is Gyro Gearloose, and today my story is rewritten.”
- ―Doctor Surlee before being rewritten.
Doctor Surlee rewrote himself after being previously known as the famous inventor, Gyro Gearloose, believing that he is at fault for the disappearance of Slappy due to an unexpected interruption at the Toon Council Presidential Elections from the Cogs. Upon traveling back to his lab that was transformed into Cog Nation, he rewrote himself into becoming a monkey by using the Rewritten Device that he invented in order to hide his identity as the inventor of the Cogs, and to travel back in time to October 26, 1998. By taking everything with him using an unstable pocketwatch on that very date, however, unforeseen consequences would soon follow him.
Causing an unforeseen anomaly
- “...October 26th, 1998. That's the day I came back to. The day that, as they say, I threw a gigantic rock into the fabric of time that has caused ripples every month following it.”
- ―Doctor Surlee
An anomaly known as the 26th was caused by Doctor Surlee's time travel along with the imperfections of the pocketwatch. From time to time, ripples would occur on the 26th per month at most, starting with the first ripple that occurred on November 26, 2013 (2002). Most of these ripples had revealed all of Doctor Surlee's mysterious blueprints of inventions that he produced, ranging from the Silly Meter to the Rewritten Device.
Doctor Surlee would soon be met by two Toons commonly known as "The Two" on April 26, 2014 (2003) for the first time. For every appearance they make, they express their great understanding of the 26th, what it means to be rewritten, and what Doctor Surlee is trying to accomplish. Knowing that he is going to need their help, Doctor Surlee triggered a ripple by creating a blog post announcing the return of LoonyLabs.net on January 25, 2018 (2007), right before the 26th, to gain a revisit from "The Two."
Surely enough, "The Two" did appear as Doctor Surlee would hope to happen. Documents and Research Reports found on LoonyLabs.net revealed that "The Two" is Doctor Fissionton in the form of both a dog and a cat. Doctor Fissionton continued to somewhat tease Doctor Surlee ever since.
A secret unveiled
- “I wanted to trigger a ripple in order to lure out the Two... Err, the Fissiontons... But I never expected anything of that magnitude. A tidalwave. I was scared to face the town after the entirety of my secret was unveiled.”
- ―Doctor Surlee when a Toon confronted him with the "Good luck!" phrase.
With all of Toontown, even Flippy, knowing Doctor Surlee's secret ever since LL-TERMINAL26's transmission on LoonyLabs.net, he had been afraid to come out of his lab and face the town. When Toons sent reports to Loony Labs about a certain fire hydrant on Silly Street trying to spring to life, Doctor Surlee knew he could not pass up on the opportunity to do some research on silliness. Toons had to collect 2,600,000 Silly Particles to help Doctor Surlee with his research. Once all Silly Particles were collected, Doctor Surlee met with Doctor Fissionton inside the Toon Hall. Doctor Fissionton revealed a plan to help Doctor Surlee complete a project that would bring Toontown to silly levels that had never been achieved before.
The plan to take Toontown to new heights involved constructing a brand new Silly Meter. After years of hard work from the Scientoons and with additional help from Doctor Fissionton, Doctor Surlee's latest invention was completed and unveiled to the public on March 6, 2019.
Doctor Surlee appears in the Toontorial every year during the Twelve Days of Winter by standing right next to a Toon Headquarters and a mailbox, waiting for his "lost package." The following is two of Doctor Surlee's separate dialogues when he speaks to Toons.
|Dialogue (any species)|
|Dialogue (bears only)|
- Surlee is a pun off of "surly," which means bad-tempered and unfriendly.
- Doctor Surlee is confirmed to be one of the members of the Toon Council.
- In his blueprints, Doctor Surlee wrote in code that it is not all Silly Ciphers. Occasionally he used English and illustrations.
- The code had to be deciphered as it was part of an ARG.
- In a blog post from January 26, 2014, Flippy says that Doctor Surlee is a good friend of his. This was even before Flippy became president of the Toon Council, considering they both met on the day Flippy moved into Toontown.
- Doctor Surlee played a big role in the Toon Council Presidential Elections.
- According to a news section from Toontown Online, Doctor Surlee had never once cracked a smile. Joey states that this is still true in Toontown Rewritten.
- Doctor Surlee is the only known Toon Council member to witness a trial with the Chief Justice.
- For a whole day on June 26, 2014, Doctor Surlee's bypasses were the only way to reach Lawbot Headquarters before the tunnel opened. The bypasses would stay open for less than a month.
- On August 26, 2014, at 2:00 PM PST, Doctor Surlee investigated Chip 'n Dale's MiniGolf to see what was making the Silly Meter go off the charts. He found a crowd of Toons gathered in anticipation for something crazy to happen because of the 26th. Doctor Surlee stood in front of the crowd and said "At this point, I'd say we are the 26. A ripple. Just another ripple. Perhaps an anomaly." The information below was collected from Doctor Surlee's responses to some of the Toons' questions:
- Surlee said "I had some teleportation holes, but the Toon Council took them down. I hope none of you used them!"
- Doctor Surlee forgot when his birthday was due to his lack of celebrating it for so long, in which he simply forgot. Even if that was from the past, "past" is still considered a relative term.
- Timelines would not make a difference if one would continue the other. Taking it back in time would just continue the present from the past.
- Doctor Surlee doesn't know a "Joey", but he knows Sir Max. Sir Max has a habit of giving him a headache.
- "Surlee" is actually his first name since he prefers to go informal.
- The Toontown Rewritten storyline heavily implied that Doctor Surlee is Gyro Gearloose's alias as shown in the gallery section below with Surlee's papers, and across other media platforms such as LoonyLabs.net.
- This means that Doctor Surlee's full name is "Surlee Gyro Gearloose".
- Originally Posted by joey19982 (Sir Max) on 02-05-2015
- As you can see by the Portable Design, Teleportation, and Silly Meter -- Surlee rarely keeps his inventions to himself. With the Toon Council's approval, I'm sure he wanted to share the Rewritten Device as well.
Surlee's Papers (November 26, 2014)
- ↑ (3) A Big Surprise All 'Fa You!
Official • MCF news • Wayback Machine
- ↑ Toontown Rewritten storyline/clue speculation *Megathread* V. 3.0 http://www.mmocentralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4058751#post4058751
- ↑ File:REAL TIME ttrpuzzle's Hype Fest (with Doctor Surlee, Goshi, Lisosaurus and others)
Published on Aug 28, 2014 by Blurryface
- ↑ http://www.mmocentralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4165256#post4165256
- ↑ (153) You Betta' be Ready for This!
Official • MCF news • Wayback Machine