Sir Max proposed the idea to create a game where robots try to steal gag barrels while Toons try to stop them by throwing pies. When he asked the Toon Council, they turned him down and scrapped the idea.
On his way to go find "public land" to build his trolley game on, a Loony Labs scientist stops him and offers to build him the robots needed for the game. Once finished, Sir Max returned to the Toon Council and showed them the finished project, which they accepted and added to the Trolley, but would remove it if it got bad reviews.
The objective of the game is to use pies to protect four gag barrels in the center of the arena from Cogs until the time runs out. If Toons lose all of the barrels, they lose. If they save at least one barrel, they win and receive thirty jellybeans. Cogs chase after Toons as well as try to steal the barrels. If caught, Toons will be launched in the air, similar to the Maze Game.
|Arrow keys (← ↑ ↓ →)||Move left, up, down, right, or diagonally|
|Throw Pie||Delete (Windows); fn + Delete (Mac OS X)|
- In Toontown Rewritten Alpha, this game was originally called Robot Thief. After the Cogs' name was revealed, the game was renamed to Cog Thief.
- The arena was initially supposed to be a Tag Game arena in Toontown Online for Daisy Gardens, but this idea was scrapped.
- In Toontown Online, Cog Thief was played from a top-down perspective. The developers of Toontown Rewritten changed this to the standard view.
- The Cogs can go through the tunnels, however, Toons cannot.
- In contrast to the original Cog Thief, Toons now use the "Delete" or "Alt" key to throw a pie rather than the "Ctrl" key. This is similar to the VP battle gameplay.