Beta was the second development stage of Toontown Rewritten after Alpha and before Live where only players with access to an alpha key and beta key could enter Toontown, which launched on May 17, 2014 and ended on September 1, 2017 while transitioning from "Semi-Open Beta" to "Open Beta".
Beta (uppercase Β, lowercase β) is the second letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of two.
In English, the noun "Beta" is used as a synonym for "second" (in a series), reflecting its Greek roots.
Pre-Beta was a version of Toontown Rewritten before the game was released for an actual Beta test. At this point, only the staff members could play and test the game before releasing it to the public for Beta testing. Sir Max uploaded two YouTube videos showing footage of Toontown Rewritten Pre-Beta.
- "In celebration of Toontown's 11th Anniversary, Toontown Rewritten has just moved into a Semi-Open Beta to give everyone the chance to play."
- ―The TTR Team
Semi-Open Beta was the third to last stage of Toontown Rewritten's overall testing where players could visit the website, and enter the PlayLine or schedule a time slot with PlayTime to play Toontown Rewritten for up to six hours (previously three). This feature was announced on June 2, 2014 in celebration of Toontown Online's 11th anniversary. Beta keys were still required in order to play the game indefinitely.
- "Because of our awesome Tester Toons, however, we're ready to let you into Toontown to fight the Cogs during the final stage of Toontown Rewritten's testing: Open Beta."
- ―The TTR Team
Open Beta was the final stage of Toontown Rewritten's overall testing where players could play the game without the need of a beta key. Despite being open to all players, the game was still considered in Beta, as content and bug fixes still needed to be released. Toontown Rewritten opened to all on September 19, 2014, which was also the day that ToonFest 2014 began.
The content that was released in Beta includes:
- Trolley games
- Cog headquarters
- Cog Disguises
- New clothing items
- Clarabelle's Cattlelog
The content that was not released in Beta includes:
|This portion of the page could use some work. Use the edit tool to help us out!|
- Main article: News Blogs
The following list of blog posts was made to get readers "up to speed" on the events from Toontown Rewritten Beta. All blog posts can be viewed on the Toontown Rewritten website, archived on a website called Wayback Machine, and found on the wiki page above. This list was made to favor blog posts that are fun to read.
These blog posts revolve around updates that introduced content and bug fixes.
These blog posts revolve around an anomaly known as the 26th.
- There was originally going to be an "end of Beta" event, similar to the Toon Council Presidential Elections that concluded Alpha. While this event is believed to be Operation: Duck Hunt, such an event never happened before Beta ended.
- It was said that Beta was supposed to be much shorter than Alpha, but this turned out to be untrue.
- The ETA system for the PlayLine was created by Jeremy, who is part of the Technical Operations team.